Last Updated: March 2020
The most delicious cup of coffee requires the right brewing and grinding methods. To make both as easy as possible, you may want to consider a coffee maker with its own built-in grinder. Here are some suggestions that will make finding the best coffee makers with grinders a little easier.
Table of contents
Buying a coffee grinder and brewer combo has several advantages such as:
- No need to transfer grounds from the grinder to a coffee maker
- Easy to use, reducing the learning curve for those who have never ground their own beans before.
- Requires less storage space inside a cabinet or on a countertop
- Less expensive than buying two separate machines
- Prevents coffee from going stale by reducing exposure to light, air, and moisture
The best coffee makers with grinders are also very elegant-looking machines, and will therefore present a stately appearance in any commercial or residential kitchen.
Type of Grinders
There are two basic types of electric grinders: blade and burr. A blade grinder utilizes a spinning blade to “chop” coffee beans into very fine particles. Blade grinders are less expensive, but tend to operate much noisier and may also produce less consistent results. They are a good choice if you regularly choose the same consistency or tend to alternate between grinding your own beans and buying pre-ground ones.
Burr grinders on the other hand make use of a grinding wheel to grind beans. Those with a flat wheel are known as wheel grinders, while those with cone-shaped wheels are called conical grinders. Wheels grinders tend to be inexpensive, and produce less precise results than conical grinders, which are considered the “top of the line”. Conical grinders cost more, but provide more even results and operate much quieter and smoother than wheel grinders do.
Which one is Best?
When choosing the type of grinder you prefer, consider:
- The amount of grinding you plan to do
- The type of grind you prefer
- What coffee maker features are most important
- Your budget
- The type of warranty offered
- Availability of replacement parts
Best Coffee Maker with Grinder Reviews
If you are looking for a coffee maker with grinder, you have lots of options available in every price range. To help you choose the best coffee grinder maker for your needs, we would like to offer the following reviews:
Cuisinart DGB-550BK Grind and Brew
This is one of the most affordable models available, and is therefore ideal for casual grinders or those who are looking for a back-up unit for the office. The Cuisinart DGB 550BK contains some important features such as:
- Separate two-piece grinding assembly
- Dishwasher safe components
- 12-cup capacity glass carafe with ergonomic handle
- 24-hour programmability allows you to set your grinder/brewer up the night before
- One-to-four cup feature, which makes it easy to brew smaller amounts of coffee
- Grind-off feature for times when you prefer to use pre-ground coffee
- Automatic shutoff feature for added safety
- Built to North American Electrical Standards
Users remark that this appliance tends to produce somewhat stronger coffee, and is therefore best suited for those who prefer full-bodied flavor. It may take some trial and error to come up with the right formula for your tastes, and the included instruction guide will help you greatly with this. Once you have mastered using the Cuisinart DGB 550BK, you should have few if any problems with it.
Black and Decker CM5000B 12-Cup coffee grinder and brewer combo
The Black and Decker CM5000B is another grinder/brewer that is ideal for home use. It contains very simple features that reduce the learning curve, while still allowing you to enjoy a very fresh pot of coffee. Some of its features include:
- Grinder “off” option for enhanced safety
- Brew strength selector allows you to customize a pot of coffee to your individual taste
- Glass Duralife carafe is attractive and highly durable
- 24-hour Quick Touch programming feature allows you to set and go
- Non-stick “keep hot” carafe plate ensures coffee is always the perfect temperature
- Clear-view window allows you to easily see how much water is in the machine
- Permanent bronze-toned filter eliminates the need for paper filters
One advantage this coffeemaker has over others in its price range is aesthetics. It contains a very professional appearance, and is even available in black, white, gray, or red, giving you more choices than other units. Its grinding and brewing features are seamlessly integrated, giving it a very clean look you’ll be proud to show off in your kitchen.
Breville BDC550XL YouBrew coffee grinder and brewer combo
Many people consider the Breville BDC550XL to be one of the best coffee makers with grinder to choose whenever you wish to brew only one or two cups of coffee. Some features you’ll enjoy with this appliance include:
- The ability to brew 9 different cup sizes, including three different travel mug sizes
- 7 adjustable strength settings
- 5 adjustable flavor settings
- Brew IQ system, which doses the perfect amount of coffee and water together
- Carafe warming plate with automatic shutoff after two hours
- Integrated burr grinder
- Half-pound capacity bean hopper
The fact that it is so easy to customize coffee according to your individual taste makes this the perfect appliance for families with members who all have unique tastes. Many users claim that this appliance produces better tasting coffee due to the fact that it steeps coffee and water together for a full four minutes to ensure the best possible flavor. While it does provide exceptional flexibility, the Breville BDC550XL is nonetheless very easy to master.
Breville BES870XL Barista Express
This elegant-looking grinder/coffee maker appears much like one you would expect to see in an authentic Italian coffee house, yet is uniquely designed for home use. This is a visually-appealing appliance comes in stainless steel, cranberry road, and black sesame. Some unique features include:
- 15-bar Italian pump
- 1600 watt thermo coil heating system allows for beverages that are the perfect temperature
- Purge function, which ensures the optimum espresso extraction temperature
- Sealed bean hopper holds a full half pound of beans
- Removable water tank with handle holds up to 67 fluid ounces of water
- State-of-the-art digital features allow you greater control over your coffee
- Stainless steel conical burr
This top-of-the-line appliance is one of the best values for the money, and is therefore ideal for anyone who is looking for a quality grinder/coffee maker combo at an affordable price. You may want to consider if it you plan to serve large numbers of guests when entertaining.
DeLonghi ESAM3300 Magnifica Super-Automatic Espresso/Coffee Machine
If you are a cappuccino lover, you will greatly enjoy this DeLonghi Magnifica Super-Automatic Espresso/Coffee Machine. While it is perhaps best used for making cappuccino, you can actually create a wide assortment of hot beverages with it, making it one of the most versatile for home use. Some important features are:
- A patented cappuccino system frother, which automatically mixes steam and milk
- Easily allows you to make drip coffee, latte, espresso, cappuccino, and more
- Operates very quietly and efficiently
- The easy-to-access controls make adjusting the strength and/or water level a breeze
- Low-pitch conical burr grinder easily allows you to adjust the fineness for more precise, even grinding
- Rotary and push button control panel that contains a variety of programmable menu settings
- “Direct to brew” system, which allows you to grind beans instantly
- Double boiler system to eliminate wait time between making espresso and cappuccino
Some users may be intimidated by the advanced features of this appliance; however, DeLonghi has made it as easy as possible by providing call center help with setting up and maintaining it. Despite the fact that the DeLonghi ESAM3300 is so versatile, it nonetheless takes up very little room on your kitchen countertop, and is therefore ideal if you have limited space.
Jura Impressa XS90 One Touch Automatic Coffee Center
This state-of-the-art grinder is also one of the most costly on the market, and is therefore primarily sought after for commercial use. Some of the features it provides include:
- One-touch buttons that easily allow you to prepare latte, cappuccino, macchiato and more without ever moving the cup
- High-performance 15-bar pump
- Burr grinder with six individual settings for extra precision
- Active bean level monitoring
- Energy saving mode for enhanced efficiency, allowing you to operate as cost-effectively as possible
- Thermo-block heating system that delivers beverages that are precisely the right temperature
While this is a high-end machine, it is important to note that it does require regular cleaning in order to keep it operational. Many consumers elect to purchase decalcifying and descaling tablets directly from the manufacturer to prevent buildup that could eventually lead to mechanical issues. So long as you perform regular cleanings, you can expect this appliance to last for several years with very few mechanical issues.
These are just a few of the best coffee maker with grinder reviews we thought you might be interested in. When it comes to buying a coffee maker with grinder, the number of options are nearly endless. As such, it is important to look at several different models and carefully compare their features in order to choose the right one.